Thursday, February 11, 2016

IT LIVES!!... Part 3 (or The [Not-So-]Fantastical Tale of an English-Degree Graduate in the "Real World")

So. Another almost-year gone by... and what does this absentee blogger have to say for herself this time?

Heh. I've been keeping busy! And have had my brain occupied and focused in so many different directions that blogging had to go on standby for the duration.


How to explain without giving all the boring details no one actually cares about... let's see... the last time we "spoke", I had just finished my very first novel (yay!), and had settled into the editing process (ugh), just in time for graduation (yay again!). Then... *cue dreadful realization music*... REAL LIFE showed up again.


Job hunting.


Bills with no income.


Sleepless nights spent imagining doing card tricks for coins on the sidewalk somewhere, and chewing on bits of my wallpaper for sustenance.


Then finding an income. But despising the job and leaving it.


Back to bills with no income.


And now settled into retail purgatory, but happily with a paycheck I can mostly live with.


And... oy... realizing after months of feverish editing and unsuccessful submissions to agents that the book that felt amazing and brilliant while I was writing it was... well... neither amazing nor brilliant. In fact, it kind of stunk. Although there are parts of it I'm still proud of. But hey, first novel! Practise for when I actually get around to being brilliant, right?? ...Heh. In theory :)


But the biggest news of all is the main thing I have focussed on building since leaving university, and what's kept me away the most from getting back to this blog: a business of my own! Well, co-owned with my sister, to be exact :)



Image courtesy of nuttakit at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

I'm incredibly excited to announce the launch of The Violet Hour: Author Services and The Violet Hour: Literary Magazine, two branches of one business designed to help authors realize their publishing goals, as well as give them a way to showcase their work.


Working for the literary journal Existere for the three and a half years I was in university gave me such a taste for it all, so getting this going is incredibly exciting!


So now I've put my first novel comfortably in hibernation pending a gradual re-write (after I've stopped being mad at it), I've got a retail job that'll keep me at least mostly fed, and I've got a direction to channel my university degree into, and renewed creative juices to get back to reading, reviewing, blogging, and working on a new novel idea. And I know I've said it all before, but now I've got a business partner and burgeoning business to hold me to it: you'll be hearing a lot more from me from now on - stay tuned, and feel free to check out the links below to the websites that I built for each half of the new business!


The Violet Hour: Author Services


The Violet Hour: Literary Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment