Sunday, March 22, 2015

The A to Z Book Diary: "E" is for Envisioning the End

Wow... I have to say that a part of me wasn't entirely sure if I'd even make it to this point, after all that time of just imagining, stewing, brainstorming and hoping, but... it's actually here: the beginning of the end of my first book.

You can't see this, but I'm doing a pre-celebratory jig in my desk chair.

...It's probably for the best you can't see this.

Anyway, this past year (or nearly a year, I think) has been a crazy whirlwind of figuring out the details in advance as well as working it out as I went, going through spurts of incredible productivity and dry spells of months of doing almost nothing. But I've finally come to it - writing the climax and conclusion I've been planning since the start!

Image courtesy of adamr/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

And it's turning out to be a very interesting combination of coming out exactly as I originally thought it would, at the same time as parts of it are a complete surprise to me.

I was convinced once upon a time that I had it all decided upon down to the letter, no matter how much other things in the story sometimes felt like I'd stuck it in my blender and hit "puree" a few times. As it turns out though, I really only had the basics of "how", "when", "where" and "why". And while those basics certainly made it through, overall the in-depth details for all those elements were pretty well up in the air. Now that I've gotten around to writing this final chapter-and-a-bit, I'm basically figuring it out as I go and realizing that the end entails far more additional working-out than I gave it credit for!

I suppose I can't be too surprised, at the end of the day - after all, with how much some of the key plot points and most of the smaller in-between elements have evolved from their original form, it only makes sense that the ending couldn't conceivably stay the exact same as it used to be, either. Really, I should have realized that planning it out was one thing, while writing out its entirety would bring up a whole new slew of details altogether.

Well, either way, seeing it all start to finally culminate in these last moments is a billion times more satisfying than I could've possibly imagined. So darn close now - if only I didn't need to do pesky things like work... finish the last few weeks of school... move out of my current apartment... eat and sleep...

Sigh. So many interruptions. But the end is nigh regardless, and the satisfaction is sweet!

...Heh, just have to keep in mind that at the end of this, I'll have roughly 140 single-spaced pages of editing to tackle. 

Oooooh boy. "The end"? This is really kind of only the beginning isn't it?

~\\//~

Word count as of today: 71,672

2 comments:

  1. I remember when I finished my first Novel, was the best ever feeling, so celebrate. Now the real work comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it! And I certainly will - heh, going to need something to carry me through the upcoming edits! Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment :)

      Delete